Dangerous Wild Animals

If you have a wild, exotic or dangerous animal and you are not running a zoo, circus, pet shop or laboratory then you will need to apply for a licence from the Council. 

This is to ensure that the welfare of the animals is maintained to a high standard and to ensure that there is no risk to other members of the public from those animals.

For a list of list of animals that require a licence please click here. 

Hybrid or cross-bred animals may need a licence, depending on how far removed the animal is from its wild ancestor. If you’re not sure, please contact us for advice.

How To Apply

Complete the application form, and return with the relevant supporting document and application fee.

If you wish to pay online - Click here to make payment and quote payment reference on the application.

 We recommend you contact our Planning Department to determine whether a planning application is required.

Licences are issued for 1 year.

Application Process

Before a licence can be issued, an officer will arrange to visit your premises to carry out a risk assessment, and to see how you look after the animals in your care.

A vet will also be required to inspect the premises to ensure the animals are cared for correctly.

The application will be determined by the Licensing Regulatory Committee.

Business Support 

We offer a range of business regulatory support services which may be of assistance.  These are available to help assist businesses to be more successful and compliant.


Licence holders must submit renewal applications at least 12 weeks prior to the expiry of the licence.  This enables the application to be accessed, and inspections carried out, so the activity can continue to operate without a break.