Council Tax Charges and Valuation Bands
This page contains Council Tax Charging information in simplified format to provide access without the use of tables.
Council Tax 2023-2024
Council Tax includes charges for Westmorland and Furness Council including Adult Social care, Police Commissioner, Fire and Rescue and Parish Councils.
Westmorland and Furness Council Tax Charges 2023-2024
Each dwelling is allocated to one of eight bands according to its open market capital value at 1st April 1991.
Your bill provides details of your Valuation Banding.
Council Tax charges for each Valuation Band are set as a proportion of the Band D charge.
- Band A is for properties valued at up to £40,000 and is charged 6/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band B is for properties valued at between £40,001 and £52,000, and is charged 7/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band C is for properties valued at between £52,001 and £68,000, and is charged 8/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band D is for properties valued at between £68,001 and £88,000, and is charged the standard Band D charge.
- Band E is for properties valued at between £88,001 and £120,000, and is charged 11/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band F is for properties valued at between £120,001 and £160,000, and is charged 13/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band G is for properties valued at between £160,001 and £320,000, and is charged 15/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band H is for properties valued at over £320,000, and is charged at double the Band D charge.
Under Council Tax the amount each household pays depends upon the Valuation Band into which the property has been placed and how many people reside there.
Valuing dwellings to put them into the appropriate Council Tax bands is one of the main responsibilities of the Valuation Office.
The Council Tax is the way in which local councils raise money needed to pay for their services along with money from Government grants and business rates.
Council Tax Explanatory Notes 2023-2024
Council Tax Payment Methods
Make online payments to Westmorland and Furness Council