Council Tax Charges and Valuation Bands
This page contains Council Tax Charging information in simplified format to provide access without the use of tables.
Council Tax 2022-2023
Council Tax charges in the Borough consist of basic charge that includes Cumbria County Council, Cumbria Police, and Barrow Borough Council charges.
There is an extra charge for properties in areas covered by parish councils.
The basic charges are:
- Band A - £1,373.70;
- Band B - £1,602.66;
- Band C - £1,831.61;
- Band D - £2,060.56;
- Band E - £2,518.46;
- Band F - £2,976.36;
- Band G - £3,434.26;
- Band H - £4,121.12.
The extra parish charges at Band D are:
- Dalton with Newton - £53.58;
- Askam and Ireleth - £15.49;
- Lindal and Marton - £16.92.
Each dwelling is allocated to one of eight bands according to its open market capital value at 1st April 1991.
Your bill provides details of your Valuation Banding.
Council Tax charges for each Valuation Band are set as a proportion of the Band D charge.
- Band A is for properties valued at up to £40,000 and is charged 6/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band B is for properties valued at between £40,001 and £52,000, and is charged 7/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band C is for properties valued at between £52,001 and £68,000, and is charged 8/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band D is for properties valued at between £68,001 and £88,000, and is charged the standard Band D charge.
- Band E is for properties valued at between £88,001 and £120,000, and is charged 11/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band F is for properties valued at between £120,001 and £160,000, and is charged 13/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band G is for properties valued at between £160,001 and £320,000, and is charged 15/9ths of the Band D charge.
- Band H is for properties valued at over £320,000, and is charged at double the Band D charge.
Council Tax Valuation Bands 2022-2023
Under the Council Tax the amount each household pays depends upon the Valuation Band into which the property has been placed and how many people reside there.
Valuing dwellings to put them into the appropriate Council Tax bands is one of the main responsibilities of the Valuation Office.
The Council Tax is the way in which local councils raise some of the money needed to pay for their services although much is still determined and funded centrally by the Government.
To download a copy of the current year's complete guide to the Council tax and National Non-Domestic Rates leaflet please click on the link below:
Council Tax Booklet 2022-23
Council Tax Payment Methods
Make online Payments to Barrow Borough Council