Energy Advice

The Council is currently unable to offer any specific grant funding to help with energy efficiency or home insulation. The following alternative sources of general advice and assistance are available.

Energy Savings Trust - Free Help and Advice on 0300 123 1234 

The general number to call for free help and impartial advice is the through the Energy Savings Trust on 0300 123 1234. The helpline is open:


  • Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm
  • Saturday 10am to 2pm


Information can also be accessed at

If you cannot be helped by any of the schemes listed below, the EST advice line may be able to offer alternatives. 

Energy Company Obligation

You may be able to get assistance with energy saving measures through your energy supplier, or even another energy supplier. Information about this scheme can be found through the website of the regulator, Ofgem,or through the GOV.UK website

The Council has adopted an ECO Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent. This allows a proportion of ECO funding to be allocated to households that meet the ECO Flex criteria set out in the document.

Affordable Warmth Obligation

The Affordable Warmth Obligation replaced a number of other insulation grant schemes. It is intended to provide up front support for measures which will help households to heat their homes more affordably.

It is available in private tenures only (i.e. not to social housing tenants), to people receiving one of the following:


  • State Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit (income under £16,190)
  • Child Tax Credit (income under £16,190)
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Based Employment and Support Allowance


It can support the installation of the following measures:


  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Solid wall insulation
  • Replacement boilers
  • Boiler repairs with accompanied after care
  • Air & Ground source heat pumps
  • District heating


To apply for these measures, call the Energy Savings Trust helpline on 0300 123 1234, or contact your own energy provider, who may be able to help.

Health Through Warmth

NPower have extended their Health Through Warmth Scheme to cover the whole of England & Wales; this scheme was not originally available in the North West.

Eligibility Criteria:


  • Cold Related Illness
  • Homeowner (resident for over 12 months)
  • Not Statutory Grant Eligible (or situation very urgent)
  • A low income household with little or no savings
  • Unable to fully fund the work themselves


The scheme is discretionary and can contribute to the costs of:


  • Loft and Cavity Wall Insulation
  • Gas Fires (repairs and or replacement)
  • Storage Heaters (repairs or replacement)
  • Central Heating (and other heating repairs)
  • Hot Water Tank (repairs or replacement)


Heath Through Warmth Team use their own approved contractors, and deal with all referrals directly. 

Other funding can come from charitable bodies or LA's, or by own contribution from the householder

For more information go to the Health Through Warmth website

If you have any other queries or require further information please contact the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets:


9 Millbank,



Tel : 020 7901 7000

OFGEM have also provided a guide to shopping around for the best deal and switching energy providers. This provides people with a simple guide to help them get the best energy deal and is called "Go Energy Shopping". Go Energy Shopping can be found at 

Other Useful Websites

Wind power related:






Energy Savings Trust: Good information of energy efficiency in the home and latest news

CREATE: national organisation for educational resources on energy.