Westmorland and Furness Council Manage three cemeteries and a Crematorium within the Borough.
Our small team is committed to providing an excellent customer service to the bereaved whilst managing a high standard of Grounds maintenance.
Dalton Cemetery was the first to open in 1862 a 12 acre burial site located on the Cemetery Hill in the town of Dalton in Furness this was the main cemetery until the rapidly expanding new town of Barrow in Furness opened.
Barrow Cemetery opened for use in 1873 its 66 acre grave yard is located off Devonshire Road in the Ormsgill ward of Barrow in Furness.
Today Barrow and Dalton still have sufficient space for new burials these graves have a one hundred year lease as opposed to the early graves, which were in perpetuity.
With the exception of woodland graves new graves can be dug for up to three interments to allow family members to be interred together.
It is possible to choose a grave for interment and also purchase in advance; please contact the cemetery office to arrange an appointment.
Ireleth Cemetery Opened in 1952 to provide their residents with more space, as the neighbouring St Peters closed for new graves. Situated on Ireleth Brow this small 1½ acre burial ground is now itself near to capacity.
Barrow Crematorium also referred to as Thorncliffe opened in the cemetery Grounds in 1962 over the years we have done more than 40,000 cremations averaging approximately 900 a year.
The crematorium chapel was fully refurbished in 2016 and new installed fully compliant cremators in 2018.