You’ll need a zoo licence if you’ll be displaying wild animals to the public for at least 7 days a year, in any place that’s not a circus or pet shop.

How To Apply

Write to us giving at least 2 months notice before applying.

You must give details about:

  • where the zoo will be
  • what kind of animals you’re going to keep and how many
  • how you’ll house and care for the animals
  • staff numbers and what they’ll be doing
  • expected visitor and vehicle numbers
  • zoo entrance and exit points
  • how you’ll meet the conservation conditions

You must also:

  • publish notice that you’re intending to apply in at least 1 local and 1 national newspaper
  • display the notice at the planned zoo site
  • send a copy to the council

Contact us to discuss your Notice of Intention or Application at commercial@barrowbc.gov.uk 

Complete the application form, and return with the relevant supporting documents and application fee.

If you wish to pay online - Click here to make payment and quote payment reference on the application.