Disabled Adaptations

Adaptations to Council Accommodation

Are you or a member of your household finding it difficult to remain active and independent in your council home because of a disability or ill health?  

If the answer is yes, it may be that life could be made easier by having adaptations made to your home.

Adaptations can be provided to assist you or a member of your household with a variety of daily living tasks.

What do you need to do?

Minor adaptations such as lever taps, grab/hand rails and additional bannister rail can be requested by contacting us directly.  

Major adaptation work such as wheelchair ramps or level access showers need a referral to an Occupational Therapist so an assessment of your needs can be carried out. To arrange this contact Cumbria County Council's Adult Social Care Team on 0300 3032 704 or email: CustomerServicesSouth@cumbria.gov.uk

They will then arrange to visit you in your home to assess what adaptations would be the most appropriate for you. 

For more information, including the range of adaptations that available, please read our leaflet Adapting your Home

Alternatively, speak to our Housing Needs Officer on (01229) 876577. 

Council Housing Adaptations Policy