Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is part of the Governments Welfare reform, and was introduced to the Barrow area from  December 2018.  Most claimants wishing to make a new claim to any working age benefits will claim Universal Credit 

Universal Credit will replace six existing working age benefits :

  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax credit
  • Housing Benefit

There are however some exceptions where the claimant will still be required to make a claim for Housing Benefit:

  •  claimant is living in temporary accommodation
  • claimant is living in supported accommodation

Any claimant falling into the above 2 groups will still be required to make a claim for Housing Benefit to help with Housing costs.

Making A Claim

You will need to make a claim for Universal Credit on line.  If you don't have your own facilities to do this, computer access will be available at the Job Centre, Libraries and if you require support to complete an online application appointments can be made with CAB.

Contact details for Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) are as follows:-

Telephone number : 03444 889 624


Before your start your application make sure you have the following information as you can not save your application and return to it at a later date:

  • Your national insurance number
  • Details of the bank,building society or post office account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • Your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • Details of your savings or capital
  • Details of any income you have that is not from work
  • Details of any benefits you are getting

Find out full information about Universal Credit and apply for it at www.gov.uk/universalcredit

Personal Budgeting And Support

Personal budgeting and support (PBS) is about helping claimants adapt to the changes Universal credit brings :

  • being paid monthly
  • Universal Credit is usually paid to the claimant
  • single household payment

PBS will provide Universal Credit claimants with help and advice to manage their money and pay their bills on time.  This service is delivered by CAB for claimants within the Borough.

If you are struggling to manage your Universal Credit payments you can contact CAB for advice/help.  

Help to Claim Universal Credit

Council Tax Reduction

If you are currently liable for paying rent and Council tax and have applied for Universal credit your housing costs will be included in your single monthly Universal Credit payment, but you will need to apply for Council Tax Reduction separately. You will need to contact your local Council to make an application for Council tax reduction.