Food Premises Registration

Food Premises Registration The law requires the registration of premises used in connection with a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and mobile food vehicles). Anyone…

Food Premises Registration

The law requires the registration of premises used in connection with a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and mobile food vehicles).

Anyone wishing to start a new food business should register at least 28 days before starting to trade.

EC Regulation 852/2004 (Article 6(2))

This regulation replaces the requirement under the now revoked Food Premises (Registration) Regulations 1991 as amended and requires that if you run a food business you must register with the local authority.

Those premises that were registered under the old regulations need not re-register under the new regulations.

There are no exemptions to the requirement to register except those businesses that are subject to approval under Regulation 853/2004.

A 'Food Business' is defined as carrying out any of the activities related to any stage of production, processing and distribution of food whether for profit or not and whether public or private.

This includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, pubs, shops, school kitchens, office canteens, warehouses, market stalls, catering vehicles, ice cream and delivery vans, guest houses and residential homes.

How do I register?

The first thing to do is to complete the online form, using the link below. Registration will not be refused and there is no charge.

Common Questions

Why do I need to register?

Registration of premises use for a food business is required by law. Registration allows local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to. The frequency of visits depends on the type of business.

Food Hygiene Inspections.

Do I have to register mobile units?

It is the premises where a mobile food business is normally kept (or garaged) that require registering rather than the vehicle itself. Therefore, vehicles normally kept in the Borough area should be registered with Barrow Borough Council regardless of where they trade. Separate registration is not needed for the vehicle if it is used in connection with permanent premises that are themselves registered as a food business - for example a van used to deliver goods from a bakery.

What happens when you receive my registration form?

When we receive an application for a new business we will normally make an appointment to inspect the premises before they open. At the time of the inspection we will give advice on what you need to do to comply with the appropriate food hygiene regulations.

What happens to the information I supply?

Your application form will be kept on file and some of the details will be transferred to a public register. The register only contains the name, address and nature of the business. It is available for inspection by the public at any reasonable time and copies of entries in the register can be obtained from the Council (a charge is made for this service).

What happens if I don't register?

It is a criminal offence not to register a food business unless it is exempt. A person failing to register a food business may be prosecuted.

What do I do if the business changes?

Once the premises have been registered, the Council needs to be kept informed of any change in the nature of the business or it's proprietor. In the case of mobile businesses, we also need to know if the vehicle is going to be kept at a different address.

New proprietors of existing businesses need to complete an application form, although because the business isn't new, there is no need to give 28 days' notice.

Further Information

For further information please contact the Commercial Services section

Commercial Services Team,
Public Protection
Barrow Town Hall,
Duke Street,
LA14 2LD.

Telephone: 01229 876543.