Barrow Borough Council offers a collection service for large/bulky items through its Waste Service Department .
Bulky waste collections are charged at a minimum of £15 for up to 5 items with additional items - up to a maximum of ten - charged at £3 each.
This is cheaper than the equivalent service offered by a local authority anywhere else in Cumbria.
The Bulky Waste collection service will be reviewed annually from April 2023 onwards to ensure it continues to offer an efficient service at a fair price to residents.
A review was conducted of Barrow Borough Council’s Bulky Waste service this year to consider how easy it was to use for residents, the process of administering the service and the overall cost to the council.
A Bulky Waste collection can be booked by calling Barrow Borough Council’s Customer Contact Centre on 01229 876543. Payment will be taken at the time of booking and will be non-refundable.
The council cannot collect waste from construction or demolition works, including improvement, repair or alteration or preparatory works from domestic properties, as this is categorised as industrial waste.
Some items that cannot be collected include but are not limited to:
- Bags or boxes of household waste
- Garden waste
- Small items that would fit inside your refuse bin
- Builders waste, plasterboard, glass or fluorescent tubes
- Bathroom suites or kitchen units
- Gas bottles, gas cylinders or portable gas fires
- Hazardous waste such as chemicals, asbestos, paint tins or oil drums
- Concrete posts, fence panels or garden sheds
- Any item that cannot be safely lifted by 2 people