Planning - Development Control

Development Control

The purpose of the Development Control Service is to protect amenity and the environment and ensure that change is managed, in the public interest.  It is not designed to protect the interests of one person over another.

Within the framework of legislation approved by Parliament, this Council tries to ensure that development is allowed where it is needed, whilst ensuring that the character and amenity of the area is not adversely affected by new buildings or changes in the use of existing buildings or land. Planning decisions are guided by the Borough's Development Plan.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact one of our officers.

How to Get In Touch

You can get in touch with us by email, telephone and post, or by calling into our offices at Barrow Town Hall:



0300 373 3300


Westmorland and Furness Council, Development Management, Town Hall, Duke Street, Barrow in Furness, LA14 2LD

Feedback on Development Control Service

As a department we always welcome any comments relating to the service that you have received. These are valued as they highlight areas in our service where we can make improvements or make changes to our working practice. If you need to make a complaint this would initially be dealt with within the department and therefore the contact details above would apply.